The first Tersteeg’s IGA store was opened in May of 1936 by Ed and Garnette Tersteeg. It was located on South Washington Street. Ed and Garnette were the only two employees the first year.
In 1949, the Tersteeg’s installed the first “Spee Dee” checkout counters in the state.
In 1955, Tersteeg’s moved to Bridge Street into what was formerly a two-story creamery, Gandrud Creamery. Gold Bond stamps were redeemed as of 1956, which clearly added to business sales. The Bridge Street grand opening of Tersteeg’s Super Valu was held in 1965.
In 1967, Jim Tersteeg succeeded his Dad in ownership of the business. The bakery was added, and all departments were remodeled, as well as removing the second story of the building. At that time, there were 30 employees.
In July 1983, Jim purchased the Holiday Village building and as of August 1983, the store at 1111 East Bridge Street became Tersteeg’s Holiday Market. The gas station was added in 1997, and several remodeling projects have taken place to offer fresh bakery, deli, smokehouse meats, fresh cut meats and fresh produce.
This is the current location, and there are 130 full and part-time employees.